Buying workers’ compensation for:

Public Service and Public Administration

Public Service and Public Administration

What to Know

  • Most states require workers’ compensation insurance for all public employees.
  • In certain states, this does not include volunteer emergency personnel and other uncompensated positions.

Potential Hazards

  • Many jobs in government, public service and public administration are low risk; muscle strains, slip-and-fall injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress injuries are the most commonly cited claims in office settings.
  • However, those employed in police departments, fire, rescue and national security are exposed to a number of occupational health and safety risks and are at greater risk for stress-related health problems.

Work Class Codes

Many businesses have several work class codes that describe what their employees do. It’s important to classify each group of employees accurately because it could alter your premium dramatically.

Other Tips

If your insured employs workers in multiple states or your insured’s employees are temporarily working out-of-state, they need to purchase insurance for all the states where their workers are located, according to each state’s laws. Call 1-800-476-2948 and let us walk you through it.

The nature of your insured’s business, number of employees being covered and past coverage and claims are all factors in how much their premium will cost.