Buying workers’ compensation for:

Real Estate

Real Estate

What to Know

  • This industry includes real estate sales and rental, as well as other rental-based businesses.
  • Jobs in this industry are typically office jobs with a low level of risk.
  • Certain states allow real estate agents to be exempt from workers’ compensation coverage. If you are paid on commissions only, check with your state if you need to be covered.

Potential Hazards

  • Muscle strains, slip-and-fall injuries, carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress injuries are the most commonly cited claims in office settings.
  • Workers’ compensation insurance covers wage replacement and medical bills for employees injured on the job. To protect against other injuries at your place of business, you may need general liability insurance.

Work Class Codes

Many businesses have several work class codes that describe what their employees do. It’s important to classify each group of employees accurately because it could alter your premium dramatically.

  • Real estate agency
  • Apartment leasing
  • Banquet hall rental
  • Self-storage rental
  • Car rental
  • Formalwear rental
  • Appliance & furniture rental

Other Tips

If your insured employs workers in multiple states or your insured’s employees are temporarily working out-of-state, they need to purchase insurance for all the states where their workers are located, according to each state’s laws. Call 1-800-476-2948 and let us walk you through it.

The nature of your insured’s business, number of employees being covered and past coverage and claims are all factors in how much their premium will cost.